tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tran, John" <jt...@edmunds.com>
Subject RE: Help, Tomcat 4.1.30, Linux Stops responding after 24-48 hours
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:26:02 GMT
Are you using mod_jk?

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/jk2/faq.html

This *might* apply:

"Under heavy load, I've got many threads in Tomcat even if my Apache Web
Server handle much of the load

Under heavy load, Apache WebServer create many childs to handle the
load, which will in turn create many connections to Tomcat to forward
the requests they should handle. Apache WebServer will normally kill the
childs/threads when the load decrease. But if the load is still there
and even if only Apache handle the requests, ie static contents, the
childs are kept and with them the ajp13 connections, even if they are no
more used.

Since JK 1.2.0, cache_timeout and socket_timeout properties as been
added to close connections after some time of inactivity, for more
informations refer to Workers HowTo ."

If so, I'm having the same problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Gentilin [mailto:johngapache@gentilin.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 1:22 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Help, Tomcat 4.1.30, Linux Stops responding after 24-48 hours

I have a fairly plain Tomcat install with one Web Application installed
under RedHat 9.0.
After about 24 - 48 hours, the whole Tomcat server stops responding and
there are no errors
in Catalina.out. It seems to of allocated VM ~ the size of physical
memory, but none of the file
report any VM memory errors. I have not yet  installed a debugger and
run Tomcat in debug mode,
tomcat is installed on a server that is a bit hard to get at the
console. Also I am interested on how
others would set out to diagnose a remote server problem like this.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: The same setup runs on a Windows / Tomcat server with out issue.

tia
John G

The System:

Tomcat 4.1.30
JDK Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_05-b04, mixed mode)
Apache 2.0.50
mod_jk2 (although it affects stand alone only mode too)
My web application attaches to a MySql server Ver 4.1

When the Tomcat stops responding;

If I telnet in, I get connected
If I type GET / HTTP/1.0, no response
If I run strace -p, it is stopped at a accept(9, statement

I can get into MySql from the cmdline and do a show status, and the rest
of
the linux box is running fine.

/proc/pid/status says
Name:   java