tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <remy.mauche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to configure logs in Tomcat 5.5?
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:49:00 GMT
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:43:17 +0200, Andreas Schildbach
<andreas@schildbach.de> wrote:
> Shapira, Yoav wrote:
>
> > Loggers are gone: your server.xml <Logger> element is invalid and should
> > be removed.
> >
> > For configuring commons-logging with Tomcat, see
>
> That leads me to the following question:
>
> Is it possible to have one log per context with the new logging scheme,
> as it was possible with the <Logger> elements?
>
> This is rather essential for Servers that run multiple applications.
>
> And while I am at it: Is it also possible for
> commons-logging/java.util.logging on Tomcat 5.0 to separate by context?

Yes, it's possible because of the log category names.

Ex, for a context, it's:
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[enginename].[hostname].[path]

It's fair to assume that later builds are going to include:
- a decent default log configuration using java.logging
- documentation on how to use other loggers
If anyone wants to contribute that, he's welcome ;)

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat