tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Mittendorf <christian.mittend...@freenet.de>
Subject Re: Howto deploy a new version of my webapp without disturbing the customer?
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:42:26 GMT

Am 01.10.2004 um 14:10 schrieb Andoni:

> Surely the think that WO is doing is maintaining all sessions on the
> old
> machine until they are shut down.

Yes, that's what WO is doing. You can see it in the Monitor
application. Sessions are bound to the application instance. Otherwise
changing the way your sessions are do work would be a dangerous job.

> My way of doing this is simply to get up at 3:30am and make the changes
> then! I am lucky in that 90% of my users are 9-5 office workers.

You are really lucky not to offer your service to thousands of
customers. From what I can see in the sales figures, those customers
never sleep! And so do the product managers: the best downtime is no
downtime :-) Thus I want to keep the version cycle as small as
possible.

Christian