tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject TC 5.5 - 4 issues (jasper, ROOT, jndi, logging)
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:32:18 GMT
Hi Guys

Decided to give TC 5.5 / JDK 5 B2 a whirl today with our web application on my local machine
and am having some teething troubles;

1/ Jasper has an issue with JSP page imports where the imported packages are not used. This
is throwing an exception.

2/ Had the error mentioned earlier about ROOT child '' cannot be deployed because it was shared
by another context. I just removed the ROOT folder from webapps to get rid of that problem.

3/ None of my JNDI resources configured in tomcat.home/conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp.xml
are being recognised. This was copied direct from my TC 5.0.25 installation ... should this
still work? Database JAR is in common/lib. Getting lots of

Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null' errors and also in STDOUT

WARNING: Error during context /mywebapp restart
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.checkResources(HostConfig.java:1031)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1123)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:292)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.backgroundProcess(StandardHost.java:729)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1511)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1520)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1500)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

4/ The logging suggestion at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/logger.html
did not work for me. I have log4j.properties in my webapp classes ... does this override any
other log4j config like in this example?

Cheers for any insight into the JNDI problem :)

ADC.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055