tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: ????? +++ problem saving &Euro symbol character to database from my JSP form using TC5
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:06:56 GMT
What is your database URL? Are you ensuring that a charset is specified on your database connectivity?
This charset should be Cp1252 for Windows-1250. Find a row in the database with a euro character
and ask yourself how that euro character got there? If it got there using an encoding different
from the response encoding then you will get your ?. In order to solve this problem you need
to make sure you have test data correctly encoded to match your database encoding. Then work
backwards to the UI. Make sure the db URL charset matches the database. Then use a JSP with
pageEncoding and charset of utf-8 OR try Cp1252 OR try Windows-1250. I don't think you need
to worry about changing your DB encoding .. it seems to me that you either have incorrectly
encoded data in the database which is throwing you red herrings when you get the UI encoding
right OR your UI is just mal-configured.

> 1. I have a Windows-1250 oracle database, and I am using TC
> 5. and jsp/html
> pages
> to perform updates/inserts. Despite using iso-8859-15 in my
> jsp/html, the
> client
> is still posting a ? (question mark symbol) instead of a Euro symbol.
> Anybody know what is happening ?
>

> 2. If I do change our product database, from Windows-1250 to
> UTF-8, how will
> this affect existing applications I wonder writing to the
> database using
> Windows-1250 or iso-8859-1.
> I guess because utf-8 is backward compatable it should not affect the
> existing apps. making
> updates or inserts?
>

> Would appreciate any help !
>
> thanks