tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brian Roberts <brian88robe...@dodo.com.au>
Subject Re: cannot find server
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:13:24 GMT
Hassan Schroeder

Shiver me timbers, me cocky just fell off its perch.[1] Thanks Hassan, I
love it when you talk command line. Yep I tried 'catalina.bat run' at the
bin directory of tomcat and the reply was. " 'catalina.bat' not recognized
as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" I think
version 5 is a lot different from version 4. I've tried to install both
version without success. At different times but I'm trying to get the most
recent one up. I appreciate your help and would still like further input
from anyone. I'm determined to get the little blighter going.

For anyone else I'm trying without success at getting the server (version 5
)running and opening the welcome page.

Thank you Brian Roberts

[1] make that 2 days.

At 07:50 AM 19/09/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Brian Roberts wrote:
>
>>QM thanks for your reply
>>the URL is http://127.0.0.1:8080/ . The set up wizard for tomcat server
>>version 5 set up the software. I didn't make any adjustments to the
>>settings. How can I check the DNS etc. as you suggested? I did try a
>>google on that but it was difficult to find something I could try. How
>>can I check that the tomcat server is working and is on port 8080?
>
>I think you just did, and it's not :-)
>
>If that URL entered into your browser is getting no response, then
>you can confirm it by using `telnet localhost 8080` to see if you
>get a server prompt back. I'm pretty sure you won't...
>
>>When I click on <snip>
>
>Arrrr, forget all that wizard nonsense, matey[*1]; open a cmd window
>(presuming you're on Windows). Change dirs to the bin subdirectory of
>the directory where tomcat's installed; try to start the server in the
>foreground using the command "catalina.bat run" and use that output to
>determine what's (not) happening.
>
>[1] in honor of International Talk Like A Pirate Day :-)
>--
>Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan@webtuitive.com
>Webtuitive Design ===  (+1) 408-938-0567   === http://webtuitive.com
>
>                           dream.  code.