tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@UNISYS.com>
Subject RE: [OFF-TOPIC] Some pretty basic Tomcat ConnectionPoolingQuestions????
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 02:41:40 GMT
> From: Luke (Terry) Vanderfluit [mailto:luke@chipcity.com.au]
> Subject: RE: [OFF-TOPIC] Some pretty basic Tomcat ConnectionPoolingQuestions????

> 1. We should rename the DBConnection class to DBConnectionFactory. I
> have often wondered what a factory is in this sense, could you
> elaborate?

Simplistically, a factory is an object generator that creates/returns objects of a specific
type different than itself.  It's essentially a wrapper for the desired object constructor,
allowing the implementation of pooling or other schemes to control the distribution, lifetime,
or whatever of the desired objects.  This situation certainly seems to fit the bill.

 - Chuck