tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hassan Schroeder <has...@webtuitive.com>
Subject Re: cannot find server
Date Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:50:05 GMT
Brian Roberts wrote:

> QM thanks for your reply
>
> the URL is http://127.0.0.1:8080/ . The set up wizard for tomcat server
> version 5 set up the software. I didn't make any adjustments to the
> settings. How can I check the DNS etc. as you suggested? I did try a
> google on that but it was difficult to find something I could try. How
> can I check that the tomcat server is working and is on port 8080?

I think you just did, and it's not :-)

If that URL entered into your browser is getting no response, then
you can confirm it by using `telnet localhost 8080` to see if you
get a server prompt back. I'm pretty sure you won't...

> When I click on <snip>

Arrrr, forget all that wizard nonsense, matey[*1]; open a cmd window
(presuming you're on Windows). Change dirs to the bin subdirectory of
the directory where tomcat's installed; try to start the server in the
foreground using the command "catalina.bat run" and use that output to
determine what's (not) happening.

[1] in honor of International Talk Like A Pirate Day :-)

                           dream.  code.