tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Garret Wilson <gar...@globalmentor.com>
Subject using character entities and JSF XML
Date Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:39:02 GMT
So I'm trying to use the &trade; character entity in a pure XML
JavaServer faces file, and it doesn't let me, because it isn't defined.
Fair enough; I add this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE jsp:root [
	<!ENTITY trade    "&#8482;" ><!-- trade mark sign, U+2122 ISOnum -->
]>
<jsp:root version="2.0"
	xmlns:jstl="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core"
	xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page"
	xmlns:jsf="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
	xmlns:html="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html">

I get:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /documents.jsp(9,44) Element type
"jsp:root" must be declared.

I didn't know that XML required internal document types to declare the
root element.

Strangely enough, I hit "refesh" and sometimes Tomcat 5.5.2 will show
the *old* cached page, before I added the &trade; character entity. I
keep hitting "refresh" and it randomly shows an error and the old cached
page.

Garret