tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Garret Wilson <gar...@globalmentor.com>
Subject Re: valid XHTML 1.1, Tomcat, text/xml, and @!&* IE
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:37:51 GMT
Morten Liebach wrote:
> The nicest solution is to follow the tips in this article:
>
>     http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/03/19/dive-into-xml.html
>
> Basically , if the HTTP_ACCEPT variable contains the string
> "application/xhtml+xml" set MIME-Type to that, otherwise set it to
> "text/html".
>
> And no, I have no idea how you do that in Java/JSP, I'm too much of a
> newbie yet, but eventually I'll have to do something like that myself.

Thanks for the nice tip.

It seems like this checking is something you would do on the
server---Tomcat. You could probably get it done somewhere in the
internals of the JavaServer Faces implementation, too.

I found <mime-mapping> in web.xml and tried setting the "faces"
extension to return text/html. No luck. Then I tried the "jsp"
extension. No luck there, either. The _Java™ Servlet Specification
Version 2.4_ is no help. Neither is _Professional Apache Tomcat 5_.

Can Tomcat handle this?

Is there something I can put in my JSF page to handle this? Rather than
placing hacks throughout my pages, though, I'd like to just tell Tomcat
to serve text/html for now---how do I do that?

Garret