tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <>
Subject 505 Error in Tomcat 5.0
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:29:31 GMT
I am using Tomcat 5.0 and Struts 1.1.  I also use a Filter that zips the
requests and responses.  I am running a chat room on port 80 with a
frameset html that auto refreshes in one frame and sends in another
frame.  When a user with IE tries to chat with me from her office, she
gets 505 messages.  I have recently changed the code on the pages.  I am
getting requests when she sends one, but they are old requests, with the
same chat lines she sent before.  Anyone know what is probably going on
here?  The Filter I use follows:

   public class GZIPFilter implements Filter {

     public void doFilter(ServletRequest req, ServletResponse res,
         FilterChain chain) throws IOException, ServletException {
       if (req instanceof HttpServletRequest) {
         HttpServletRequest request = (HttpServletRequest) req;
         HttpServletResponse response = (HttpServletResponse) res;
         String ae = request.getHeader("accept-encoding");
         if (ae != null && ae.indexOf("gzip") != -1) {
           GZIPResponseWrapper wrappedResponse = new
           chain.doFilter(req, wrappedResponse);
         chain.doFilter(req, res);

     public void init(FilterConfig filterConfig) {
       // noop

     public void destroy() {
       // noop

What do you think?