tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Villar <john.vil...@florhard.com>
Subject Re: Traversing up a directory using RequestDispatcher
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:37:01 GMT
You have to enable the invoker servlet, this question comes up *A LOT*
in this mailing list xeth.... try the better, cleaner, securer way....
do a servlet mapping in your web.xml file....

John Villar
Gerente de Proyectos
Computadores Flor Hard Soft 2058 C.A.
www.florhard.com

Xeth Waxman escribió:

>OK, so apparently I am doing a cross context request dispatcher call,
>which is bad.  So I shouldn't do that.  Assuming my app is under
>c:\jakarta\webapps\ChargeCard (context is /ChargeCard), that means my
>servlets should be under
>c:\jakarta\webapps\ChargeCard\WEB-INF\classes, correct?  If that is
>the case, how do I get my pages to invoke my servlets?  To date I have
>been putting my servlets in c:\jakarta\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes,
>and invoking them with /servlet/com.gcc.creditcard.DoLogin.  Now that
>my classes are under /ChargeCard, invoking them with
>/servlet/com.gcc.creditcard.DoLogin says that they're not found, and
>likewise with just com.gcc.creditcard/DoLogin.  I'm sure their's a
>very simple answer found somewhere I just don't know where to look, so
>if you feel like making me work to get the answer feel free to just
>point out the resource I should be viewing (I can't find anything in
>the tomcat docs).
>
>Thanks!
>
>--Xeth
>

>On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:17:07 -0400, Shapira, Yoav <yoav.shapira@mpi.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>First of all, Xeth is the best name I've seen in a long time -- cool!
>>

>>>I have a bizarre issue.  Using Tomcat 5.0.12, I have an application in
>>>the directory C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12\webapps called ChargeCard.
>>>After loggin in, I am trying to forward a request to jsp page in that
>>>directory.  However, RequestDispatcher apparently uses the directory
>>>C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12\webapps\ROOT as the Document root, so I need
>>>to go up a directory in my forward request (something like url =
>>>"../ChargeCard/index.jsp";)  However, RequestDispatcher requires a /
>>>to start off the url, so I can't use the ../ start to go up a
>>>directory.  Does anyone have an idea how I would do this?  I tried url
>>>= "/../ChargeCard/index.jsp";, but that results in a
>>>NullPointerException being thrown.  All help is appreciated!
>>>

>>The RequestDispatcher's behavior is constrained by the Servlet
>>Specification.  Its JavaDoc has an explanation on how it resolves
>>relative links: the leading slash for the getRequestDispatcher call is
>>not really absolute, it's relative to the webapp's docBase.
>>
>>There's no reason Tomcat would use ROOT as the docBase, unless you're
>>actually in the root webapp.  What is the docBase for your webapp?
>>(Hint: it's not c:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12\webapps, it's a subdirectory
>>under it, unless you've explicitly defined a Context with the webapp
>>docBase) (in which case, if you kept the default Host appBase, you have
>>a bad configuration).
>>
>>Yoav
>>
>>This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication,
and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail