tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hassan Schroeder <>
Subject Re: Tomcat fine within the LAN, but invisible from without
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:44:42 GMT
Lee Hoffner wrote:

>>>1) does host/dig/nslookup resolve '' to your address?

> I don't have a DNS server here, just a /etc/hosts file. is
> listed in the hosts file at
> nslookup finds at the public IP provided by my ISP.

So this is broken; what OS are you running? First you need to have
nslookup return your local address; do you have an /etc/nsswitch.conf
file or equivalent? Configure your system to look at /etc/hosts for
name resolution, and then try doing a simple `ping\telnet\ssh` to Until you can do that, don't even worry about Tomcat. :-)

> Shorewall

No idea what that is. Is it running on the server with Tomcat? Or
on a router/gateway machine? Or???

But you need to fix your "inside" access first...

Webtuitive Design ===  (+1) 408-938-0567   ===

                           dream.  code.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message