tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Villar <john.vil...@florhard.com>
Subject Re: Why tomcat 4 or even 3?
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:03:10 GMT
That's true yoav, actually i live off that kind of things, however, what
really amazes me is the messages that arrive at this list saying "i've
just installed 4.1.x"..... the scenario you explained of replication a
production environment on test grounds is a good approach, but i don't
think everyone out there is deploying a test environment when installing
the 4 branch. My principal concern about this topic is this: if the
tomcat community fosters the use of old branches, people will start to
get old bugs, old problems and will receive the tired response in this
list "search this .... it comes up a lot", and that goes in detriment of
the whole Tomcat community image (a mighty and solid image) and you will
hear from some jerk things like "yeah, i tried tomcat, but its rather
buggy and slow, i prefer the ClosedSource_VENDOR_X solution". The
problem here is that management departments worldwide are concerned
about the ROIs and TCOs of the systems, and we must give them those
digits, just to grasp more "market share" (yuck!! management lingo, i'm
sick of it, hate it or love it, we must live with it), revealing
security and maintainability issues of having installed some old tomcat
branch. Those are my toughts about this matter.

John Villar
Gerente de Proyectos
Computadores Flor Hard Soft 2058 C.A.
www.florhard.com