tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Why tomcat 4 or even 3?
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:03:20 GMT
I am in the process of moving from 4.0 to 5.0 on HPUX. So far - 5.0 has been
pretty sweet, here were the worst of my problems:

(1) Bad coder karma
<%page import="java.util.*,java.io.*,"%> will cause an error with the
trailing comma

(2) (more bad coder karma) Placing return statements in your JSP should be in
a conditional because if not, there is a much better chance that you'll get a
statement not reachable compile error.

(3) If have custom tags - there probably not tag pooling friendly, so turn
tag pooling off

(4) The incremental gc option on HP blew chunks. At least thats what it
seemed like when I was testing the server with that option turned on. I
haven't gone through extensive tuning yet. In general, if I give enough
memory to the JVM and make sure my kernel params are high enough - I stop
there. Perfomance has always been nice on their servers.

Why go to 5? My main reasons ...
- JSP2.0 -- EL
- User defined functions in EL

JSTL has made our code sooooo much easier to read. With 5 - now I can get rid
of all those <c:out> tags.

-Tim