tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Villar <>
Subject Re: Why tomcat 4 or even 3?
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:27:44 GMT
I think you've got a point with the "afraid to upgrade".... however, i
think that the Tomcat community should fight this way of thinking to
minimize "maintainability", someone has to develop a side by side
Comparative brochure of tomcat 5 benefits..... maybe i'll write one. The
"don't feel the need to upgrade" issue is the principal "i've been
hacked" cause..... that's another benefit of upgrading, malicious users
have had less time to study vulnerabilities (off course, just stick with
the stable releases).....
the only true reason someone may stop from upgrading is the last
one..... however, pity those that depend on a specific tomcat release.....

the "recompile" problem: that wouldn't happen if you had a good software
provider.... i'm against any provider that forces their customers to
stick to an old dying tomcat revision.....

John Villar
Gerente de Proyectos
Computadores Flor Hard Soft 2058 C.A.

QM escribió:

>On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 04:07:52PM -0400, John Villar wrote:
>: A question to everyone out there..... why does anyone use nowadays
>: Tomcat 4 branch?.....
>Some more conservative shops intentionally lag behind on releases. The
>reasons range from "afraid to upgrade" to "don't feel the need to
>upgrade" or even "we've built a sizable architecture on an older rev and
>upgrading will be a monumental effort."
>: isn't tomcat 5 branch more bug free, featurefull
>: and backwards compatible?
>Yes and no.  Even if the app used no features specific to Tomcat 4, you
>still have to rebuild the app to upgrade.

View raw message