tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jorge Sopena <jsop...@sidsa.es>
Subject Re: How many connections can be made to Tomcat on Windows?
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:20:19 GMT
Ok,
At the beginning my page had to do two queries to DB, and I found this
connection problem.
At the end my servlet does nothing, just reply a string "CONNECTED".
On the other side my client test program creates several threads (is a
parameter) and in its run method sends the request to this servlet.

And the results are quite bad, if I create more than 15 threads some
requests are answered with "java.net.ConnectionException".

I didn't want to reach to 1000 req/s in my current hardware but I
thought I could expect better results.
Anyway, I'll test Tomcat with JMeter and I'll see if the results are better.

If someone can give me any hint , I'll be grateful

Jorge

Peter Lin wrote:

>so does this mean Intel should donate some hardware to Apache for
>suggesting users buy more hardware :)
>
>sorry, couldn't resist.
>
>if you provide more information about what the page does (without
>revealing sensitive info), you'll get more detailed response.
>Otherwise, we're just shooting darts with a blind fold, in a darkroom
>with the board 100 yards away.
>
>peter
>

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:04:40 +0200, Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>Jorge Sopena wrote:
>>

>>>Yes, I'm running Tomcat on a windows server, but I'm not in a production
>>>environment yet.
>>>
>>>What do you mean with "inbounds connections"?
>>>I could test that sending requests every 20ms there were around 200
>>>sockets in the system (with netstat command)
>>>

>>Not sure what tool you are using for profiling (MS Stress?).
>>Your test also doesn't show nothing (useful). It only shows that
>>you combination of application/hardware/etc cannot deliver the context
>>inside 20ms.
>>Increase the interval and when you stop receiving exceptions, that's the
>>workload of your hardware. Now, check the SpecMark for your computer,
>>and order a new box that will have a SpecMark high enough to drive your
>>application :).
>>

>>>Any way, where could I look this "inbound limit" in a Windows system?
>>>Maybe that is a hint to find de final answer.
>>>

>>Well, you have a 200 opened connections (those are likely 100 if you
>>are testing from the same box, but I hope you are not doing that).
>>Also if there is a limit (non-server products has max 10) it wouldn't
>>manifest as java exception, but rather directly to the client, never
>>reaching tomcat.
>>
>>Regards,
>>MT.

Jorge Sopena Torres
SIDSA
(Semiconductores Investigación y Diseño, S.A.)

Parque Tecnológico de Madrid
c/ Torres Quevedo, nº 1
28760 TRES CANTOS (Madrid) (SPAIN)

Phone : +34 91 803 5052