tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jorge Sopena <jsop...@sidsa.es>
Subject Re: How many connections can be made to Tomcat on Windows?
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:11:07 GMT

My case is teh first one, there will be peaks of requests.
I mean it's quite likely that in any moment I could receive this
quantity of requests.
For example, I very likely scenario is to receive in 2-3 minutes around
100000 requests, what is in average 500req/second

I know I will need more hardware for the final environment.
But my current problem is that I can't get connections with Tomcat in a
quickly way unless I send them separately.
I can send 15 requests concurrently, then I get
java.net.ConnectionException.
I knew I wouldn´t reach my goal in my machine (Pentimu IV, 2.4GHz,
512MB) but I find the results very poor.

So I wondered if Tomcat can reach to this numbers in another environment?

Thanks

Jorge

Elmar Haneke wrote:

>> Thanks for the calculations, but more exactly I want the server to
>>  attend 1000 requests/second. I mean I don't want any of those
>> requests to be rejected. It's probably the response time were
>> several seconds, but with better hardware I could manage that.
>

> Is it your intention to handle the (perhaps rare) case where 1000
> requests are coming within the same second or are you planning to
> manage 1000 Requests every second (60000 requests per minute)?
>
> In the second case it won't help if each request remains active
> several seconds - this would cause to have several thousand
> connections open simultaneously - an very hard job for any kernel.
>
> Elmar

Jorge Sopena Torres
SIDSA
(Semiconductores Investigación y Diseño, S.A.)

Parque Tecnológico de Madrid
c/ Torres Quevedo, nº 1
28760 TRES CANTOS (Madrid) (SPAIN)

Phone : +34 91 803 5052