tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jorge Sopena <jsop...@sidsa.es>
Subject Re: How many connections can be made to Tomcat on Windows?
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:46:14 GMT
Hi Peter,

Yes, I'm running Tomcat on a windows server, but I'm not in a production
environment yet.

What do you mean with "inbounds connections"?
I could test that sending requests every 20ms there were around 200
sockets in the system (with netstat command)
My problem is when the requests reach very quickly to the server, and it

Thanks for the calculations, but more exactly I want the server to
attend 1000 requests/second. I mean I don't want any of those requests
to be rejected. It's probably the response time were several seconds,
but with better hardware I could manage that.

Any way, where could I look this "inbound limit" in a Windows system?
Maybe that is a hint to find de final answer.

Thanks,

Jorge Sopena

Peter Lin wrote:

>just out of curiousit, you're running Tomcat on windows server right?
>
>in the even you're using windows professional, it is limited to 10
>inbound connections, which is easy to overlook and forget.
>
>I've easily gone over 1000req/sec for static files. For real pages
>that hit the database, that's another story. Unless you're doing some
>caching on the web tier, it's unlikely a 4CPU database server can
>handle that many queries per second. The only way a webpage that gets
>data from the database for every request to reach 1000 req/sec is if
>the queries themselves take 50ms or less.
>
>on a 4 cpu box
>1000ms/50ms = 200 queries/second
>200 queries/sec X 4 = 800.
>
>Does that help?
>
>peter
>

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:38:20 +0200, Jorge Sopena <jsopena@sidsa.es> wrote:
>

>>Hi everybody,
>>
>>I'm having a problem with the maximun connections in Tomcat.
>>In theory, the number of connections accepted by Tomcat is determined by
>>the <Connector> elements in the server.xml configuration file. The
>>maxProcessors attribute sets the total number of threads that can run
>>simultaneously and the acceptCount attribute controls the number of
>>requests that may be queued waiting for a connection.
>>
>>I've done my own program to send hundreds of requests concurrently, but
>>the response in the majority is
>>"Exception:java.net.ConnectException:connection refuse"
>>I did several tests, and I realized that if I send a request each
>>20mseconds I can send around 200 requests without problems.
>>But if I send, for example 20 requests uninterruptedly, 4 or 5 requets
>>are rejected with java.net.ConnectException.
>>If I increae the number of requests the problem is even worst.
>>
>>I'm using tomcat 5.0, and the configuration in my server.xml is:
>> <Connector port="8080"  maxThreads="300" minSpareThreads="25"
>>maxSpareThreads="75"
>>              enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100"
>>              debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
>>              disableUploadTimeout="true" />
>>
>>So, is the problem because of Tomcat and I should configure anything
>>else? or
>>should I customize something in the JVM or Windows?
>>
>>My goal is to be able to serve 1000 requests/second. Any hint how to do it?
>>
>>Thanks, in advance.
>>
>>Jorge sopena

Jorge Sopena Torres
SIDSA
(Semiconductores Investigación y Diseño, S.A.)

Parque Tecnológico de Madrid
c/ Torres Quevedo, nº 1
28760 TRES CANTOS (Madrid) (SPAIN)

Phone : +34 91 803 5052