tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jorge Sopena <jsop...@sidsa.es>
Subject How many connections can be made to Tomcat on Windows?
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:38:20 GMT
Hi everybody,

I'm having a problem with the maximun connections in Tomcat.
In theory, the number of connections accepted by Tomcat is determined by
the <Connector> elements in the server.xml configuration file. The
maxProcessors attribute sets the total number of threads that can run
simultaneously and the acceptCount attribute controls the number of
requests that may be queued waiting for a connection.

I've done my own program to send hundreds of requests concurrently, but
the response in the majority is
"Exception:java.net.ConnectException:connection refuse"
I did several tests, and I realized that if I send a request each
20mseconds I can send around 200 requests without problems.
But if I send, for example 20 requests uninterruptedly, 4 or 5 requets
are rejected with java.net.ConnectException.
If I increae the number of requests the problem is even worst.

I'm using tomcat 5.0, and the configuration in my server.xml is:
  <Connector port="8080"  maxThreads="300" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"
               debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
               disableUploadTimeout="true" />

So, is the problem because of Tomcat and I should configure anything
else? or
should I customize something in the JVM or Windows?

My goal is to be able to serve 1000 requests/second. Any hint how to do it?

Thanks, in advance.

Jorge sopena