tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kelly C. Goedert" <kelly.goed...@nexxera.com>
Subject Name jdbc is not bound in this Context
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:28:32 GMT
Hi,

I'm getting this error " Name jdbc is not bound in this Context" on my
application. My tomcat version is 5.0.27.

The servlet that is causing this error is trying to access a database
with the following code:

protected IDatabaseConnection getConnection() throws Exception {

        Context ic = new InitialContext();
        Context ctx = (Context) ic.lookup("java:comp/env");
        DataSource ds = (DataSource) ic.lookup("jdbc/boxes-cactus");

        con = new DatabaseDataSourceConnection( ds);

        return con;

    }

My web.xml has the following configuration to the datasource:

<resource-ref>
      <description>DB Connection</description>
      <res-ref-name>jdbc/boxes-cactus</res-ref-name>
      <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

And in $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/
Catalina/localhost/boxes-cactus.xml I got this

Context path="/boxes-cactus" docBase="boxes-cactus"
        debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

             prefix="localhost_DBTest_log." suffix=".txt"
             timestamp="true"/>

  <Resource name="jdbc/boxes-cactus"
               auth="Container"
               type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

  <ResourceParams name="jdbc/boxes-cactus">
    <parameter>
      <name>factory</name>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Maximum number of dB connections in pool. Make sure you
         configure your mysqld max_connections large enough to handle
         all of your db connections. Set to 0 for no limit.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>maxActive</name>
      <value>100</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Maximum number of idle dB connections to retain in pool.
         Set to -1 for no limit.  See also the DBCP documentation on this
         and the minEvictableIdleTimeMillis configuration parameter.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>maxIdle</name>
      <value>30</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Maximum time to wait for a dB connection to become available
         in ms, in this example 10 seconds. An Exception is thrown if
         this timeout is exceeded.  Set to -1 to wait indefinitely.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>maxWait</name>
      <value>10000</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- MySQL dB username and password for dB connections  -->
    <parameter>
     <name>username</name>
     <value>root</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
     <name>password</name>
     <value>xxxxx</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Class name for the old mm.mysql JDBC driver - uncomment this
entry and comment next
         if you want to use this driver - we recommend using Connector/J
though
    <parameter>
       <name>driverClassName</name>
       <value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</value>
    </parameter>
     -->

    <!-- Class name for the official MySQL Connector/J driver -->
    <parameter>
       <name>driverClassName</name>
       <value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- The JDBC connection url for connecting to your MySQL dB.
         The autoReconnect=true argument to the url makes sure that the
         mm.mysql JDBC Driver will automatically reconnect if mysqld
closed the
         connection.  mysqld by default closes idle connections after 8
hours.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>url</name>
      <value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/BOXES?autoReconnect=true</value>
    </parameter>
  </ResourceParams>
</Context>

Can anyone help?