tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Villar <john.vil...@florhard.com>
Subject Re: Help with Tomcat Install?
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:37:01 GMT
Let me wrap this up.....

initially he said that he (david lash) was getting the following page:

>HTTP Status 404 - /
>type Status report
>message /
>description The requested resource (/) is not available.

>Apache Tomcat/4.1.18

Clearly, it is a response from tomcat, because the tomcat signature.
Then Gerardo Juarez said:

>$CATALINA_HOME/bin/start.sh should have happened before pointing at
>http://localhost:8080. It's a common mistake.

And following that david lash response was:

>Thanks for the help, though I did startup.sh.
>It appears to start (I have a tomcat deamon running).
>The file logs/Catalina.out was not clean during the startup (don't know if that is normal).
It >looks like the enclosed

>Thanks
>Dave lash
>

>Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization failed: >java.net.BindException:
Address already in use:8080

So, what's happening here is that someone confused david lash with the
bind exception thing because he had tomcat already up and running as a
daemon, and OFF COURSE he had a bind error when manually running tomcat....

My guess, he doesn't have anything in the tomcat ROOT..... and he has an
already running tomcat set up.....

Shapira, Yoav escribió:

>Hi,
>I don't think so ;)  You're confusing two threads here.  This guy doesn't get a 404, he
gets a bind exception.  There's no way to rule out the option I suggested from the information
he's posted so far.

>Your suggestion to the other guy who's getting the 404 is also likely wrong: the default
servlet is included automatically from $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml.  A webapp's web.xml file
can contain just the root element with nothing in it, as his does: that's both valid and supported
by Tomcat.