tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sjoerd van Leent <svanle...@wanadoo.nl>
Subject Re: Server side redirect
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:17:11 GMT
Okay, you are trying to perform a forward from one server to another.
Well the most easy option is to use a 306 but as you stated, you don't
want to use any header redirects (though all conformant browsers accept
these). Your next option is to reroute the messages from your server to
another server and let that server decide what to do (this is what's
called a proxy). The only thing the first server is doing is being sheepish.
Using this technique as I explained below, you can redirect
cross-server, or if you want, cross-application without the need for the
browser to know what's going on. Making a proxy can be done in all kinds
of manners, one of them should probably fit your needs.
A third option, which is usable with large scaled applications, is to
use node systems, but this is only necessary for huge systems.

If there is a question regarding to proxying do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Sjoerd