tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: ++ Best practive ?? ++ (JSP-->Servlet-->Database) character encoding.
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:06:32 GMT
Ben Bookey wrote:
> Hi Allistair, Nikola, et al.
>
> Allistair
> =========

> Nikola
> ======

> if you chose UTF-8 for your DB, in the first place. I do realise that data

> Q. Do you mean in converting the data inside the database ? It sounds like
> you have experience --> what does it involve?

That is exactly what I mean. Converting data already inside might be
impossible. If the input data encoding and DB encoding mismatch, there
is no telling what is actually inside. It is best to start from a fresh
DB, create it/set right encoding and load the data. Don't forget to use
client encoding to match.

My field is with PostgreSQL. There I would create a DB with encoding
'UNICODE' (UTF-8) and load data with "psql" (Oracle has "sqlplus"). In
the "psql" session I would set the session encoding to match data on the
input. That way I was able to load "Windows-1250" data into "UTF-8"
database, since PSQL carries out the conversion.

> Q. Any idea to the extent to which oracle, sqlserver and mysql supports
> utf-8 ?
>
> DBname			supports utf?
> oracle8

Definitely no Unicode, but all ISO-8559-* are there.

> oracle9
> oracle10

Has Unicode.

> sqlserver2000