tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Sidney-Woollett <joh...@wardbrook.com>
Subject java environment + cron issue
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:01:24 GMT
On a unix RH8 box starting and stopping TC 5.0.18 under the root account
using the following script:

#!/bin/sh
# This script stops tomcat for (about) 1 minute, and then restarts it
# it is run at the same time as the script to backup the
# database (which is shutdown, and a file level copy made)
echo "Stopping Tomcat at `date`"
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18/bin/shutdown.sh
echo "Tomcat shutdown at `date`"
sleep 15
echo "Starting Tomcat at `date`"
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18/bin/startup.sh

stops and starts TC as expected, and after TC is restarted all my JSP's
correctly render UTF-8 strings.

However if the script is invoked from cron, the JSPs render all
non-standard ASCII characters (like accented ones) as a ? (question
mark), until TC is restarted again by executing the above script under
the root account.

Does anyone know what the cause of the problem is, and how to fix it?

(We will be upgrading to TC 5.0.28 shortly, but I don't think the TC
version is the issue). There must be some kind of enviroment issue going
on that I don't understand.

Thanks

John Sidney-Woollett

ps here is the cron entry (created using crontab -e from the root account).

# crontab -l
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.11679 installed on Fri Aug 20 07:12:03 2004)
# (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp $)
45 3 * * * /bin/nice /usr/bin/rsync-backup-client / root@hrde1a:/
# Pause tomcat for database backup, make sure this job is run
# at the same time as the db backup job on ddgfe1a
5 5 * * * /usr/local/bin/pauseTC.sh