tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leonard Sitongia <siton...@ucar.edu>
Subject Clustering and Virtual Hosts
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:49:00 GMT
Hi,

The server.xml in Tomcat 5 has <Cluster> inside of <Host>.

Right now, I'm running one host in the Tomcat configuration on each of
two computers.  server.xml in tomcat running on a computer named c1 has
a <Host> named c1, and computer c2 has a host named c2.

I'm planning to create several virtual hosts that will be clustered
across two computers.  The virtual hosts, of course, have the same IP
address.

Can I simply duplicate the <Cluster> definition in each of the <Host>
sections in the multiple virtual hosts that I define in each computer?
In other words:

Computer 1:

<Host name="vhost1" ... >
	<Cluster ... >
	</Cluster>
<Host>

<Host name="vhost2" ... >
	<Cluster ... >
	</Cluster>
<Host>

Computer 2:

<Host name="vhost1" ... >
	<Cluster ... >
	</Cluster>
<Host>

<Host name="vhost2" ... >
	<Cluster ... >
	</Cluster>
<Host>

Where all the information in the <Cluster/> element is the same for
each virtual host on each computer.

Seems like I end up with four virtual hosts that are all talking on the
same TCP and multicast connections.

Do I need to define a different tcpListenAddress / tcpListenPort for
each virtual host?

Thanks for your help!

==Leonard E. Sitongia
   VETS / Scientific Computing Division