tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joel <r...@ddcom.co.jp>
Subject Re: A little offbeat question
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 04:17:45 GMT
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 07:41:11 -0500
"Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@UNISYS.com> wrote

> > From: John Najarian [mailto:j-najarian@earthlink.net]
> > Subject: RE: RE: A little offbeat question
> >
> > I'm still going to look at the CLASSPATH env var.  Maybe I should
> > add '.' to the CLASSPATH variable.
>
> These days, Sun seems to be recommending not using the CLASSPATH
> environment variable - ever.

I wish they would clarify that, to, "Don't set CLASSPATH yourself. Let
the applications or frameworks do that." I think that would be less
confusing.

> Use either the -cp argument on each
> program invocation, or make the proper directory current when you
> execute the desired program.

In light of security issues deriving from the default assumption of
having executables in the working directory, -cp would be the correct
way to do this.

But I don't remember. Is Sun planning to do away with defaulting to the
current working directory when CLASSPATH is empty?

Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>