tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Lee Hoffner <lhoff...@megapathdsl.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat fine within the LAN, but invisible from without
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 05:29:55 GMT
For some reason, I'm not getting replies to my posts, although I see them at
http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user%40jakarta.apache.org/

Weird!

Anyway, in regard to those replies:
>you can also add www.mydomain.com to your hosts file to test accessing
>the web server within your lan, if that failed check your dns or if it
>resolves to a public ip then check your fw
>

>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:03:14 -0700, Hassan Schroeder
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Lee Hoffner wrote:
> >
> >> I've untarred and setup Tomcat 4.1.30 on my server and can get to
index.jsp
> > >just fine on my web server's 192.168.x.x:8080 address, but I get a
timeout
> > >error if I try to browse to www.mydomain.com:8080.
> >
> >Sounds like a basic networking problem --
> >
> >1) does host/dig/nslookup resolve 'www.mydomain.com' to your address?
> >
> >2) if you're really trying this from "outside" your LAN, what's the
> >    firewall/routing setup? (hint: try it from "inside" first!)
> >
> >HTH,
> >--
> >Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I don't have a DNS server here, just a /etc/hosts file. www.mydomain.com is
listed in the hosts file at 192.168.1.5
nslookup finds www.mydomain.com at the public IP provided by my ISP.
Shorewall has the rule:
Action				ACCEPT
Source Zone			Net
Destination Zone		<Any>
Protocol				TCP
Source Ports			Any
Destination Ports		8080
DNAT or REDIRECT	None

Trying to access the domain:8080 from within this LAN results in a timeout.
Trying to access the domain:8080 from an office elsewhere results in an alert
that the connection was refused.

I'm mystified. I'd be grateful for any help. Thank you!