tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Greg Ward <gward-tom...@python.net>
Subject Re: Why is Tomcat/Connector Installation So Incredibly Painful??
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:26:55 GMT
On 03 September 2004, Peter Alvin said:
> But why is it so
> incredibly painful to install Apache/Tomcat/Connector?  It always
> takes me about two days.  I look forward to it as much as doing my
> federal tax returns.

I'm in complete agreement with you.  Even finding the right files to
download is a bit of a chore.  ("OK, so everyone says I need mod_jk.
Therefore I'm looking for a file called...
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.6-src.tar.gz.  Riiiight.  Well, at
least they have two letters in common.)

Here's an interesting experiment: google'ing for "mod_jk" finds this
page:
  http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi
as the second hit.  But the string "mod_jk" occurs nowhere in that page;
you have to hunt around until you realize that what you're really
looking for is "Tomcat Web Server Connectors".  And then you only get to
the "binary releases" page, which is useless -- I need the source,
dammit!

Oh, the *first* Google hit for "mod_jk" is
  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/mod_jk-howto.html
which I think most people who are working with Tomcat 4.1.x or 5.0.x
would probably ignore based on the URL.

Anyways, once you've downloaded the source (which I've already forgotten
how to do -- luckily I kept a local copy), you then have to figure out
*what* to build in that tree and where to find it.  Not obvious.  And
it's different from mod_jk to mod_jk2.  And then getting things to build
is even less obvious.

Alas, I don't have time to do anything more than bitch and gripe.
Whoever is actually maintaining mod_jk, mod_jk2, and associated web
pages, please hear our cries!

        Greg