tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: usage tomcat5w ?
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:02:37 GMT
On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:44:52PM +0200, Quinten Verheyen wrote:
: we have Tomcat 5 installed and there is something that troubles me.
: Some guys have modified the classpath via the tomcat5w.exe (Java tab) and put
: all their applications in a directory outside of tomcat. It isn't even a web
: root, just a root for class files.
: They did this so they don't have to restart Tomcat for every class change and
: to put their application class files anywhere they want.

Unless the context's "reloadable" attr is set to true, Tomcat won't
reload *any* classes until a context (re)start.

: This bugs me. They just change the classpath known by Tomcat at startup (like
: bootstrap) but isn't this against all design logic ?

Generally speaking, it's best for the long-term to follow the spec's and
Tomcat's guidelines for where to put things.  That simplifies upgrades
and makes it easier to determine whether a problem lies in the
container's code or yours.

That said, there are a million ways to run a shop, half of which are
"right."  Sometimes it's necessary to deviate from the norm.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com