tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: ServletContextListener and HttpSessionActivationListener
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:04:03 GMT
On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:47:06AM +0200, Michael Sudkamp wrote:
: From testing I saw that during a startup (with a serialized session available)
: the sessionDidActivate() method is called prior to the contextInitialized()
: method.
:
: Does this make sense? Shouldn't I be sure that the context is fully available
: when sessionDidActivate() is called.
: [snip]
: The servlet 2.3 spec IMO gives no info about the sequence. What is your
: opinion?

1/ Perhaps this really is a bug, and it's been fixed in Tomcat 5.x.
Setup a test instance and find out.

2/ I don't think "opinion" matters here -- if the servlet spec is shady on
it, containers are free to do as they please.   That leads me to...

3/ It may have been someone's idea that all session info should be
available for the ContextListener.  That would mean sessions would be
deserialized before a context starts and serialized after the context
stops, so a CL could gather some session stats.

Who knows?  #3 is pure speculation on my part, so you may as well work
with #1 or #2  =)

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net