tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Quinten Verheyen" <q.verhe...@ringring.be>
Subject FW: is reloading the web context sufficient ?
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:19:32 GMT
To clarify and remove the confusion I'm making ;)

webapp.root / WEB-INF / classes / [package]

I would simply like to know how on-going HTTP traffic is handled when the classes get reloaded,
either by the reloadable attribute in the <context> or by the Manager webapp reload
function.

Quinten

-----Original Message-----
From: Quinten Verheyen
Sent: 07 September 2004 15:30
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: is reloading the web context sufficient ?

Yes, you are right, it's confusing the way I said it.

What I meant was : one web context that contains a lot of custom class-files.

Normally, I would agree with you that each application should have it's own context, but there
are some reasons why this approach isn't taken :
1) the system we work with expects only one specific web context to be used
2) every application uses common functionality + configuration setup anyway (e.g. database
config)
3) I'm talking about hundred's of mostly small applications, imho confuring a separate web
context for each would be overkill.

Of course, the advantage of having a separate context for each app would be the total non-intrusion
when reloading a specific context :s