tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Quinten Verheyen" <>
Subject is reloading the web context sufficient ?
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:14:35 GMT

I'm wondering about strategies for having a production (Tomcat) webserver that hosts a lot
of applications (in one web context) and needs to be running 24/7. The main issue is not to
lose any traffic coming in/out.

Is reloading a web context via the manager app for every change made to class-files, lib's
etc. a good option ? I mean, does this have any implications on internet traffic getting lost
at the moment the reload occurs ?
The same reasoning would apply for deploying/undeploying through the admin webapp.
My guess is that the safe way is handling this through clustering (DNS round robin), and having
2 tomcat containers running with the same web context, but only one of them would be accessed
at a time.

Fill me in if I'm wrong.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: