tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: chroot Linux 2.4.20-8 and tomcat 5.0.27
Date Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:06:13 GMT
Sjoerd,

Thanks for your input. We installed Java within the chroot jail and are
still having this problem. I have no problem increasing the stack size
using Xss but I have no idea what property sets the initial thread
stack location or which would allow us to allocate stack guard pages.

On Sep 19, 2004, at 8:06 AM, Sjoerd van Leent wrote:

> Did you install Java within or without the chroot jail?
>
> If it is without the chroot jail, it can't detect certain
> configuration files, with the abcense of these, it doesn't know how to
> initialize itself. You could either:
>
> Use the parameters for the java executable
> Copy the needed configuration files (property files)
> Install Java within the chroot jail
>
> Regards,
> Sjoerd
>
> Glen Ezkovich wrote:
>
>> We are trying to run tomcat 5.0.27 in a chroot jail on Linux 2.4.20-8
>> . When we start tomcat we always get the following error message:
>>
>>> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread
>>> stack location
>>

>> About 50% of the time its worse.
>>
>>> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread
>>> stack location
>>> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Attempt to allocate stack guard
>>> pages failed.
>>> Fatal: Stack size too small. Use 'java -Xss' to increase default
>>> stack size.
>>

>> We get the same error running any java application with chroot. I'm
>> pretty sure this is because some file with important information is
>> not available inside our chrooted file structure.
>>
>> Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Glen Ezkovich
>> HardBop Consulting
>> glen at hard-bop.com
>> http://www.hard-bop.com - new and improved site coming soon
>>

>> A Proverb for Paranoids:
>> "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to
>> worry about answers."
>> - Thomas Pynchon Gravity's Rainbow

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting