tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik - Dev" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat running as root?
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:43:42 GMT
unless your tomcat runs on a privileged port (80 is, 8080 isnt) you can run tomcat as any user
you want

FIlip
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rhino
  To: tomcat-user
  Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 11:40 AM
  Subject: Tomcat running as root?

  Our instance of Tomcat (4.1.30) is currently running as root.

  Can someone remind me of whether that is the recommended way of running Tomcat? I can't
remember where that would be documented.

  If root is not the right ID for Tomcat, what should I use? Can anyone give me (or point
me to) instructions for safely changing the ID for Tomcat?

  We are running Mandrake 9.1. (At least I think we are! The administrator was talking about
upgrading to Mandrake 10 but I don't know if he's done it yet.)

  Rhino
  ---
  rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
  "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that
there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there
are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare