tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik - Dev" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Synchronization in cluster
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 14:31:30 GMT
cause if you have two servers, two different sessions can perform upload in two different VMs.
He never said there is only one session doing upload, he was asking for a distributed lock

Filip

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfeldt@uptime-isc.de>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 7:36 AM
Subject: RE: Synchronization in cluster

Why not ?

As I understood the static variable holds the information for the
current upload.

If the session is sticky the user will stay in the same jvm
and see the same static variable with each refresh.

I just see some downsides:
- if you want to assure that the downloads are serialised you have
  to implement a locking mechanism.
- you loose the central point to see all states at the same time.
- if the instance that performs the update dies, the user will
  get to an instance that doesn't know anything about the download.