tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik - Dev" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Clustering and Virtual Hosts
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:37:04 GMT
Computer 1:
You don't want to have the same multicast address. this address is what decides group membership.
There is no point in two contexts
from two different virtual host to be part of the same group, it will do nothing but cause
over head.
So give each virtual host their own mcast address.
Now since all virtual hosts are on the same computer, you would want to set different tcpListenPort
attributes as a port can only be
used by one server socket on a machine.

Filip

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leonard Sitongia" <sitongia@ucar.edu>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 12:49 PM
Subject: Clustering and Virtual Hosts

Hi,

The server.xml in Tomcat 5 has <Cluster> inside of <Host>.

Right now, I'm running one host in the Tomcat configuration on each of
two computers.  server.xml in tomcat running on a computer named c1 has
a <Host> named c1, and computer c2 has a host named c2.

I'm planning to create several virtual hosts that will be clustered
across two computers.  The virtual hosts, of course, have the same IP
address.

Can I simply duplicate the <Cluster> definition in each of the <Host>
sections in the multiple virtual hosts that I define in each computer?
In other words:

Computer 1:

<Host name="vhost1" ... >
<Cluster ... >
</Cluster>
<Host>

<Host name="vhost2" ... >
<Cluster ... >
</Cluster>
<Host>

Computer 2:

<Host name="vhost1" ... >
<Cluster ... >
</Cluster>
<Host>

<Host name="vhost2" ... >
<Cluster ... >
</Cluster>
<Host>

Where all the information in the <Cluster/> element is the same for
each virtual host on each computer.

Seems like I end up with four virtual hosts that are all talking on the
same TCP and multicast connections.

Do I need to define a different tcpListenAddress / tcpListenPort for
each virtual host?

Thanks for your help!

==Leonard E. Sitongia
   VETS / Scientific Computing Division