tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "muhammed soyer" <muham...@ges.net.tr>
Subject Re: Using JDBC Data source from a business class
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:58:20 GMT
Hello

    Where is this context.xml file .should I create a file in web-inf
directory named context.xml .
I put a ResourceLink line in my webapp.xml files which is at
"jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/conf/Catalina/localhost"

-ms
----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Bottner" <kbottner@comcast.net>
To: "'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 1:48 PM
Subject: RE: Using JDBC Data source from a business class

I believe you also need an entry in your web.xml file that looks something
like this (obviously changed for your DB settings).

<resource-ref>
<description>postgreSQL Datasource</description>
<res-ref-name>jdbc/postgres</res-ref-name>
<res-auth>Container</res-auth>
</resource-ref>

You also need the ResourceLink entry in your context.xml

<ResourceLink name="jdbc/database" global="jdbc/postgres"
type="javax.sql.DataSource" />

I use JNDI to retrieve the DB connection with

private static final String JNDI_CONTEXT = "java:comp/env";
private static final String DATASOURCE_DB_NAME = "jdbc/database";

try
{
Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
Context envCtx = (Context)
initCtx.lookup(JNDI_CONTEXT);
datasource = (DataSource)
envCtx.lookup(DATASOURCE_DB_NAME);
}
catch ( NamingException e )
{
if ( log.isEnabledFor(Level.ERROR) )
log.error(sm.getString("DAO.creation"), e);
}

Hope that helps.

Keith