tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Travis De Silva" <tdesi...@bigpond.net.au>
Subject Re: Windows 2003 Java VM memory leak due to C# garbage collection algorithm
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:40:44 GMT
Hi Steffen,

Thanks for your reply. What you say confirms my understanding of how the JVM
works.

We start Tomcat from the command prompt as an application.

We have been using various settings for the OPTS. Currently its set as:

set
AVA_OPTS= -server -Xmx512M -XX:MaxNewSize=256M -Xminf.5 -Xmaxf.8  -XX:NewSiz
e=2m -XX:NewRatio=3 -Xcompactgc -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolic
y -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
  -Xloggc:%M_JVM_LOG_FILE%  -XX:+PrintTLE

Previously we have set the following as well (and a lot of others as well
such as changing the GC algorithm etc)

#set JAVA_OPTS= -Xms256m -Xmx256m -Xgc:parallel -Xcleartype:gc  (the min and
max heap was set to the same as we have memory on our server (4GB) and
wanted to avoid the overhead associated with growing the JVM that require
multiple system calls resulting in segmented system memory.)

I was thinking its a windows 2003 garbage collection issue as they seem to
have changed their memory handing concept and now use the garbage collection
concept. In windows 2000, it was different. And when we were running our
webapps on windows 2000, it was fine. Unfortunately we recently moved our
webapps to a new dedicated server with a new hosting company and it came
with windows 2003.

Thanks for any assistance.

Travis