tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ben Bookey" <>
Subject SUN or APACHE, xml parser -- How do I know which is used ?
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2004 15:27:32 GMT

Dear List,

xmlParserAPIs.jar and xercesImpl.jar (version 2) libs are supplied in the
%CATALINA_HOME%/common/endorsed path. This path allows Tomcat to load a
parser (or any other none jcp library) and override the default jar bundled
with the JDK 1.4 release.

a)The SUN JDK 1.4 release contains a version of Xerces. When I remove the
xmlParserAPIs.jar and xercesImpl.jar located in the
%CATALINA_HOME%/common/endorsed path, then Tomcat can not read the web and
server.xml.  Is this because the version of xerces bundled with the JDK 1.4
is an older version, or is this a class-path configuration error on my
machine? I would expect the JDK to contain xerces v2 like that supplied with
Tomcat 4.1.x.

b) The following code works on new Tomcat 4.1.* test installations, but NOT
always. How can I garantee
that the parser xerces supplied with Tomcat 4.1.* is always loaded.

	documentBuilderFactory dbf = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();

Ben Bookey

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message