tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "B Poisson" <subterfug...@hotmail.com>
Subject Tomcat 5.0.27 Win2k sp4, service.bat JVM Options
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:32:06 GMT
Hello,
I am running Tomcat 5.0.27 on a Windows 2000 sp4 machine as a service.
It appears as though the JVM settings that I am trying to use are not being
recognized by the system, variables such as -Xms512m or -Xmx512m.

Here is what I have tried:
1. Configure Tomcat program that installs with Tomcat5.  In 5.0.27 there are
boxes for initial heap, etc. under the Java or JVM tab where I tried setting
values.
I also tried adding them to the Options box.  Restarting the service shows
they are
not detected.
2. Editing the registry.  I have seen many ways to do this.  I've tried the
set where
I add "JVM Option Count"=x and "JVM Option Number 1", etc.  I have also
tried
adding the settings to the registry as "JAVA_OPTS", "JAVAOPTS", and
"JAVAOPTIONS"
to no avail.  And where in the registry do I put it really?  Does it go
under Current Control
Set->Services->Tomcat5 or does it go under Software->Apache blah
blah->procrun or
whatever it is.
3. Using service.bat.  This is just confusing.  There's no documentation
that's worthwhile
about procrun.  The changelog makes it look like adding #'s instead of
spaces was fixed
in 5.0.23, but I don't know if that is the case or not.

Anyway, can anyone post me an example of how to modify service.bat to
include -Xms, -Xms,
and -Xss?  Maybe I'm putting it in the wrong place?

I know if I have an environment variable called JAVA_OPTS and I run from
catalina.bat that my
JVM settings definitely show up correctly.  Why is it so hard for them to
show up as a service?
Using Windows sucks, but I don't have a choice.  Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,