tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: 404 error accessing servlet in Tomcat5
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:12:59 GMT

Hi,
Is your application named HelloServlet also?  If so, I suggest changing
its name to reduce confusion.  Call it "myApp" or whatever you want.

Next, correct the actual code of your servlet.  Having an empty
service() method means your servlet will do nothing.  Take out that
method completely so that the parent class' service method is used.

I also suggest putting your servlet in a package, e.g.
com.mycompany.HelloServlet.  Modify web.xml accordingly, specifically
the <servlet-class> element.

Take out the trailing slash from the url-pattern element of the
servlet-mapping.  Take out the leading slash from the /index.jsp
welcome-file.  These two changes are not strictly needed but are better
style.

Then restart tomcat.  You should be able to access your servlet at
http://yourhost:yourport/myApp/HelloServlet.

And if you haven't done so already, make sure to read
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/appdev/index.html.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics