tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.1.30 ThreadPool.adjustLimits
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:37:01 GMT

Hi,

>(1) I config minProcessors="1", maxProcessors="2" and I appear to get
>servicing of a single request. Increment maxProcessers and I get
concurrent
>servicing of 2 requests, and so on. What exactly is the additional
thread
>used for (shutdown listener? thread pool manager? something else?).
>From an
>audit trail perspective, this would seem to be valuable information to
>retain in the context of any change.

Shutdown listener probably, but I don't know for sure.

>(2) When I stack up requests to a given server - throw a lot of
concurrent
>requests at it - I see one of the following entries in the
(catalina.out)
>log file:
>
>[ERROR] ThreadPool - -All threads (2) are currently busy, waiting.
Increase
>maxThreads (2) or check the servlet status
>
>SEVERE: All threads (2) are currently busy, waiting. Increase
maxThreads
>(2)
>or check the servlet status
>
>The above generated (indirectly) out of ThreadPool.runIt() when it has
>block on a "run thread" request.
>This anything to worry about? I do have acceptCount="6" set for what
that's
>worth...

Depends what you mean by "worry about" ;)  They're not serious from the
server perspective.  They end up as pages not served on the client side
though, probably a 500-series HTTP error.  So if you have 2 available
proc threads and acceptCount set to 6, you can handle 8 concurrent
requests before these errors start coming up.

Yoav