tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Debugging Tomcat
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:42:46 GMT
Hi,

>1) Everywhere in the documentation on Tomcat and in the comments for
>server.xml, when the debug attribute is discussed, it will always say
"a
>higher number means more output". I find this statement reasonably
>confusing. It raises quite a lot of questions about what the maximum
number
>is and what that translates to in terms of logging output.

The number is from 0-99, 0 meaning no logging and being the default, 99
meaning all the logging the component can generate *via that mechanism*.
Which brings us to our next point, that most Tomcat logging is now done
via commons-logging.  To configure Tomcat's logging via commons-logging,
see http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#commonsLoggingLog4j.

>(log.isLogEnabled()) statement. I would like to know which log this
>translates to, and how to enable it.

Those are from commons-logging.  The "log" variable is an instance of
org.apache.commons.logging.Log corresponding to the class' logger.

>I have tried setting ALL debug attributes within server.xml to 4 but
this
>does not yield the logging statements I am looking for from (2).

Read the above FAQ entry, then set org.apache.catalian = DEBUG in the
logging configuration file, and set debug="99" for all components in
server.xml that support that attribute.  That's the most logging you're
going to get.

Yoav Shapira