tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Memory Usage - Tomcat 5.0.25
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:35:18 GMT

Hi,
I have a couple of ideas.  One is that your webapp maintain static or
shared references to objects that prevent them from being garbage
collected, and therefore memory from returning to the heap.  Another is
that a webapp undeploy is not guaranteed to reclaim all memory used by
the webapp anyways so to count on this behavior is not smart.  It is
expected that every time you reload your webapp the overall memory usage
of the server will go up a bit, as not all objects are gone (for
example, if you have a static reference than the old classloader and
anything that references it strongly will remain in memory).

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics