tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Out of memory exception in Tomcat 4.0.4
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:10:35 GMT

Hola,

>----- Root Cause -----
>java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
<snip />
>Is getting more memory for this machine is my only option?
>Is playing around with -X?? options of Java will help me, Solaris is
>supposed
>to do good job of handeling virtual memory. Or is it aleak some where
in

>Java/Tomcat.
>
>I did my home work and searched the archive and found similar issues
but
>for Windows, so it have difference solution/reasons.

If you did your homework, then you'd know the solution to
OutOfMemoryErrors is specific to your web application and your server
configuration.  You may have a leak, or you may not, and no one but you
can tell for sure: get a profiler and use it.  You may obtain better
performance by tuning the JVM's garbage collection (using the variety of
applicable -X runtime options), and you may not, especially if you have
a serious leak.  And adding memory can't hurt that much, but may not be
required: again you must test it yourself.  There are no shortcuts for
OOMEs that lead to sustainable long-term solutions.

Of course, right after I post this someone will probably say blindly
"just set -Xmx1536m and you'll be fine" ;)

Yoav Shapira