tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [OFF TOPIC] J2EE/Tomcat Build Process
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:55:01 GMT

Hi,

>Then, I am thinking, each developer must only ever checkin stable
>compilable source, so that when other devs Get Latest Version from the
root
>of the source tree, it will still compile.

Yes, that's a generally accepted practice: developers shouldn't check in
something that doesn't compile.

>When I do a build, I am thinking that all source must be checked in,
then a
>Get Latest Version, then run an Ant script to compile and generate a
WAR
>for staging and production deployment.

Yes, again a generally accepted practice: announce a build and/or
lockdown time, by which everything must be checked in.

>Finally, I have just this second had a call from IT saying the 3
instances
>on our dev  server are brining virtual memory to its knees - which begs
>another question - should each developer have a locally installed TC
rather
>than server based?

Yes, locally if you don't have the shared resources to do it on your dev
server.  Your server resources are better spent on integration and load
testing (and of course serving the production site).

Note that nothing in your question is specific to Tomcat or even J2EE.
These principles are applicable (and these issues arise) for any
multi-developer project, no matter the language or platform.

Yoav Shapira