tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Strage Behaviour - Tomcat Memory Leak
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:49:36 GMT

Hi,
It depends on the size of your saw teeth: if they're small (<2MB), it
can be attributed to anything including internal JVM optimizations.
HotSpot will move things around in memory even when no "activity" is
taking place.

Also, what you're describing is not a leak by definition, since the
memory is reclaimed, i.e. nothing maintains references to it ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

that
>shows the heap usage in real time.
>
>As I always do, I have installed a new copy of tomcat, with NO changes.
>have just unziped it into a directory (by the way, I am using winXP,
>J2SDK1.4.2_05, JProfiler 3.1 and tomcat 4.1.30/5.0.25).
>
>So I started JProfiler, that automatically starts tomcat (I have tested
it
>against 4.1.30 and 5.0.25 - same behaviour), and I also started the
heap
>monitor (that JProfiler calls VM Telemetry).
>
>What I saw, IMHO, is very strange: time to times (around every 30
minutes)
>the heap is totally filled, and the garbage collector runs. So the
graph
>looks like a saw:

>What is strange, is that I does't touch tomcat. I just start it.
Nothing is