tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Session Pooling?
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:01:28 GMT

Hola,

>I'm trying to understand how a single instance of Tomcat manages
sessions.
>Is there any pooling/recycling of sesssion objects or are they
>created/destroyed as required?
>If they are pooled, is the size of this pool configurable?

They are not pooled.  They are created and destroyed (and passivated,
activated) as needed.  You can configure how and where they're stored by
adjusting the properties of the Manager element:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/manager.html

You can also write a custom one of your own, which could pool sessions
as you need.

>Also where can I find some good documentation on managing sessions
across a
>cluster or load balanced instances?

In the Clustering How-To document:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/cluster-howto.html

>Does anyone know of a practical limit for the number of concurrent
>connections Tomcat can cope with on a reasonably out of the box Redhat
>installation (obviously file descriptor limits aside)?

It's limited by your hardware and things like the file descriptor
limits.  We routinely have hundreds of sessions, and I know of sites
that are an order of magnitude higher.

Yoav