tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Compile all JSPs on startup
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:44:24 GMT

Hi,

>Is there a configuration setting for Tomcat to it recompile all JSP
files
>at start up?

No.

You can precompile your JSPs as noted at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jasper-howto.html#Web%20
Application%20Compilation and other locations.

>If this is the only way, how and where do you specify startup servlets
in
>tomcat?  And what if I want to enable/disable this feature on startup
>--  what's best approach for setting the flag in tomcats config files?

You might want to read the Servlet Specification at some point.  You
specify startup servlets in Tomcat the way you do in all other servlet
containers: by adding <load-on-startup>[number]</load-on-startup> to
their declaration in your web.xml file.  Since you would code this
servlet, you can handle enable/disable of this precompilation however
you want.  A likely choice would be a simple servlet init-parameter,
also in web.xml.  This is not specific to Tomcat and would not go in
Tomcat's configuration files.

Yoav Shapira